Iran accuses US of “governmental terrorism” after threat to kill Soleimani’s successor

Iran accuses US of “governmental terrorism” after threat to kill Soleimani’s successor
US Special Representative for Iran Brian Hook.
By bne IntelliNews January 24, 2020

A US threat to kill the successor to Iran’s Major General Qasem Soleimani is a sign of “America’s targeted and governmental terrorism”, Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said on January 24.

Soleimani, widely regarded as Iran’s second most powerful official, was assassinated with a drone missile strike at Baghdad airport on the orders of US President Donald Trump on January 3. The US claimed that over two decades he had been responsible for numerous operations involving Iran-backed militia that resulted in the deaths of hundreds of American soldiers and some British troops and that he was planning more attacks on US troops and assets. On January 23, the US special representative for Iran, Brian Hook, was quoted by Asharq al-Awsat newspaper as saying Soleimani’s successor as commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Quds Force for Iranian military operations abroad, Esmail Qaani, would suffer the same fate as his predecessor if he followed a similar path by killing Americans.

He added in a Davos, Switzerland interview with the publication that Trump had long made it clear “that any attack on Americans or American interests would be met with a decisive response”.

“This isn’t a new threat. The president has always said that he will always respond decisively to protect American interests,” Hook said. “I think the Iranian regime understands now that they cannot attack America and get away with it.”

Many experts say Trump breached international law with the Soleimani assassination and question whether the present US administration has much respect for international law.

After his appointment, Qaani, as reported by Reuters, said that he would “continue in this luminous path” taken by Soleimani and that the goal was to drive US forces out of the region, Iran’s long-stated policy.

On January 20, Iran’s Fars News Agency reported Qaani, as telling a Tehran audience: "They hit General Soleimani in a cowardly act, but there are freedom-seekers across the world who want to revenge for him with God's help, and God willing, we will hit his enemy chivalrously. Our enemy understands no language but force and therefore we should stand against them strongly."

An Iranian MP, meanwhile, has said the people of Soleimani’s home province Kerman are willing to pay a $3mn bounty to anyone who kills Trump.

January 23 also saw the IRGC’s aerospace division commander say that four US military bases in the Middle East were used to deploy aircraft and drones involved in the attack that killed Soleimani, including two bases in Iraq and another in Kuwait.

“Most of the drones” had taken off from Kuwait, Amirali Hajizadeh told Iranian state television. He did not say if Iran believed a drone from Kuwait was ultimately responsible for the hit on Soleimani.

Related Articles

US Senate votes to curtail Trump’s ability to wage war on Iran, Iranian parliamentary election campaign under way

The US Senate on February 13 passed a bill to curtail President Donald Trump's ability to wage war on Iran without congressional approval. The Iran war powers resolution was approved by a vote of ... more

Iraq militias mentored by assassinated Iranian general Soleimani ‘placed under guidance of Hezbollah’

Tehran-backed militias critical to Iran’s efforts to maintain control over Iraq who were mentored by assassinated Iranian Major General Qasem Soleimani have reportedly been placed ... more

109 brain injuries serve reminder to US serious conflict with Iran would not be casualty-free

It seems unlikely that a war this year with Iran would play to Donald Trump’s electoral advantage and with the number of US service members that suffered traumatic brain injuries (TBI) in the wake ... more

Dismiss