The leader of North Macedonia’s biggest opposition party VMRO-DPMNE, Hristijan Mickoski, said that the party may hold protests and block institutions, even leave the parliament, if the prosecution and court authorities fail to examine the so-called Extortion scandal thoroughly.
The scandal erupted in mid-July when two people, Bojan Jovanovski and Zoran Milevski, were detained for extorting money from businessman Orce Kamcev. Leaked audio recordings revealed by Italian daily La Verita showed the possible involvement of chief special prosecutor Katica Janeva in the scandal.
“The government will be surprised by our steps. We will take all democratic moves as opposition if necessary such as mass protests and the blockade of institutions,” said the VMRO DPMNE leader.
Mickoski said that the extortion case would not have happened without Social Democrat Prime Minister Zoran Zaev. Mickoski also reiterated calls for an early election.
Meanwhile Janeva confirmed that she has been called to give a statement as a witness in the Extortion case to a public prosecutor on August 20.
Macedonian President Stevo Pendarovski previously urged prosecutors to examine the ongoing scandal urgently, saying he was deeply disappointed about the revelations in the leaked audio recordings.
The government of North Macedonia revised the 2019 state budget on September 3, keeping the deficit at 2.5% of GDP. The revision, the first of this year's budget, will distribute ... more
North Macedonia’s Economy Minister Kreshnik Bekteshi said on August 20 that Kosovo has agreed to provide all needed guarantees to prove that its fish exports are safe for consumers. Afterwards ... more
North Macedonia’s Prime Minister Zoran Zaev announced on June 23 that he will take over the position of finance minister as part of the government reshuffle, a proposal that surprised many in the ... more