BEYOND THE BOSPOROS: Regime panicky over opposition call for “No shopping day”

BEYOND THE BOSPOROS: Regime panicky over opposition call for “No shopping day”
Robbie Williams is under pressure to follow the example set by Muse.
By Akin Nazli in Belgrade April 2, 2025

Three developments in Turkey’s “Free Imamoglu” anti-government protests—one, the regime showed some nervousness as it denounced the main opposition party’s call for a “No shopping day” on April 2; two, the EU’s enlargement commissioner cancelled a visit to Turkey over the arrest of the Istanbul mayor; and three, English rock band Muse scrapped a planned June concert in Istanbul after a local promoter denounced some protesters' actions as treason. 

As news of the concert cancellation spread, there were reports that British superstar singer Robbie Williams was facing calls to show solidarity with the pro-democracy movement by cancelling his scheduled October Istanbul show.

Since the March 19 dawn police raid that saw Imamoglu, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s main political arrival, detained and jailed, a growing boycott of companies seen as close to the regime has emerged.

Promoter Abdulkadir Ozkan’s DBL Entertainment was included on the boycott list, prompting the company owner to talk of “treason”.

Previously, Norwegian singer Ane Brun and South African comedian Trevor Noah cancelled Turkey events organised by DBL.

“After careful consideration and hearing the feedback from our fans whilst fully respecting their concerns, our show in Istanbul will be now postponed until 2026 so we can ensure DBL Entertainment will not be involved,” a statement from Muse read.

Panicky feel

There was a slightly panicky feel to statements put out by officials as they reacted to the move by Imamoglu’s party, the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), to persuade Turks to add a day of no shopping at all to their selective boycotts.

Trade Minister said the CHP was now behind an “attempt to sabotage the economy”.

In an April 2 interview with state broadcaster TRT, Bolat said: "I have a call for our citizens. If you have any shopping plans for today, tomorrow, the day after, or in the coming days, we strongly encourage you to make your purchases and conduct your business today."

The minister than appeared on other TV channels to repeat the same messages.

On April 1, the Istanbul chief prosecutor’s office said it had launched an investigation against individuals making boycott calls. There were, it said, possible violations of hate speech laws and an inciting of public hostility.

Can CHP sustain boycott?

A problem for the CHP is that those financing the ruling parties are also sometimes at the same time donating to the opposition parties.

The CHP’s youth wing shares the identities of targeted companies on its X account (@chpgenclikgm). At one point, it said that Ulker (ULKER), the largest food company in Turkey, which is in the same holding as snack and confectionery giant Pladis, was a target, but then deleted its tweet.

You can imagine that some CHP members had warned the youth wing about Ulker’s “contributions” to the party or to some of its controlled municipalities.

This is the first time that the CHP has opted to employ its economic power against the Erdogan administration. And the regime’s reactions signal that the boycott move is hurting. The question is now how long the CHP can continue with the campaign and whether it can achieve the desired result.

The regime, meanwhile, remains afraid of street protests. However, the CHP’s tactics in this area have only served to dampen down the animal spirits that were evident as the demonstrations got going.

Not a good look

European Commissioner for Enlargement Marta Kos’ cancellation of an upcoming visit to Turkey is another development that is not a good look for the regime.

Kos was scheduled to attend the Antalya Diplomacy forum and meet with Turkey’s foreign minister Hakan Fidan.

Speaking in a European Parliament session on April 2, Kos said she would neither attend the April 11-13 forum nor meet with Fidan.

“The arrest of an elected official and leading opposition figure, immediately after he announced his intention to run for president, raises fundamental concerns,” Kos said.

A no-brainer, one might think, but the lack of condemnation from Western capitals so far over the plight of Imamoglu does make one wonder.

Opinion

Dismiss